Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thing 9 - Merlin and Library Blogs

I subscribed to Merlin, via Google Reader. Unwittingly, I already had used the Bloglines search tool when I was doing Thing 8 and I checked out Librarian, to see if there were any blogs to monitor. There are nearly 180,000 posts in Bloglines using the search Librarian and 6,670 feeds for Library. This makes it difficult to monitor Library Land or to choose which might be the best blog or feed to follow personally or professionally. I believe would be difficult unless someone else told you to "checkout so and so's" blog. Fortunately, Bloglines allows searches with more than one word and, although, it narrows the posts and feeds quantities, still locating someone/something worth reading is like looking for a needle in a haystack or even better, a diamond in pile of broken glass. I found The Annoyed Librarian and the Genre Fiction blog via Library Journal, and I have subscribed to them. I have gotten better in setting these feeds up, the more I have subscribed to, but the Library Journal RSS subscriptions are the most straight forward ones so far.

I located one interesting news item while exploring. Texan Debra Medina, gubernatorial candidate "wore a sharp scarlet skirt suit, librarian-style glasses and a puffed-up hairdo." That is just great! Another librarian stereotype out there for all to see from http://www.resistnet.com/group/lonestarpatriots/forum/topics/debra-medina-new-star-of .
Three years ago, I played Second Life after MLA and it did not appeal to me. However, while working today, on one site/blog today, the online game Evony came up as an ad. I have been playing this international/semi-social networking site for almost 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment