I learned more of what is out on the Internet than I knew before. Due to this 23 Things training I discovered multiple new sites and skills that I would not have known about. I got out of my current technological comfort zone and expanded my knowledge. That is what lifelong learning is about; however, I plan to take a short break and catch up on some other work (clean up my office and a few other matters) since this training has consumed a lot of my time over the last 3 1/2 months.
By me not getting around to working with this 2-3 years ago, for me all of the dead links were a real barrier to doing this training. This issue reveals some important things
a) that Internet and the knowledge base has grown since 23 Things was introduced
b) unfortunately, it shows that library staff has not taken time or had the time or a reason to keep up with course and update the links or located better ones.
c) Also, library training staff in the nation have not stepped up to the plate or been able to do the work necessary to either to help the new trainees, new staff, or future hires.
I will read over my blog in the near future and see what areas of interest I will want to explore further and more in depth but probably from home. I used Clusty.com last night with a customer, hoping to find a lost book title based on a partial description. I may pay $25 to continue with Library Thing to get a better picture and control over my personal book collection that I believe number in the thousands. One additional thing I have learned is about blogging and although brevity might be important in some cases, to explain my paths to learning takes some skill and time in writing and editing. I wish others well in their journeys in search of knowledge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment